Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Graduation

The end is coming... a lot faster then I would like. In the next few weeks I will finish up my education at BYU-Idaho and move on into the wide world of commerce. I don't know what I am going to do sadly. I thought it would all get easier once I got out of school for some reason.

I'm graduating with no job, no money, and no career prospects. Ugh.

I am realizing quickly that I need like three more years of experience before I can get any job at all. My work is improving, which gives me hope, but until I have a job secured I am sure I'll live in a constant state of anxiety. I have worked my butt off at school and can't figure out where I went wrong. I always put in insane hours to make my designs a step above, but I think I missed the how to get a job part.

The economy is a little in the dumps and a lot of design firms are downsizing. They don't have the work for the lowly junior designers to do because they have fewer contracts. I am debating going on to school, but as all my teachers have said, "Graphic Designers who go to grad school... go because they don't know how to design." So... if I did go back to school I have no idea what I would study.

I've been thinking of starting my own small business and have brainstorming ideas. Nothing seems like it would make money and finding investors would scare me to death. I'm not a bold individual.

So, with the end coming, and Idaho disappearing from my sights I am in a tight spot and am not looking forward to the future.

1 comment:

CarrieAnne said...

I remember that feeling Miles. Being done at BYUI was by far one of the hardest experiences for me. It might remind you a little of coming home from Norway. You'll get through it though. A job will pop up, it might take some time but it will come. Stå på-as always. :) And maybe Rolf could tell you what a pigeon egg looks like, he seems to be their master here. "Jeg kommer tilbake! Ikke følg meg!!!!"