Thursday, September 25, 2008

Life in the slow lane

Jenessa is getting her papers in for her mission. We thought she could start by teaching the cat. He wasn't interested.


So I apologize for not updating. I always look at other peoples blogs and they have cute stories about their babies or trips with there spouse. It makes me realize how boring my life is so I never update. But someone will read, so I will write.

I went to see "Ghost town" this week and last. I went with some new friends last Saturday. I met them at church and invited them to dinner at my place, Norwegian Pancakes yum, and then we went to the movie. It was hilarious. Ricky Gervais is a comic god. The script was awesome. It had the same smart humor as Arrested Development. I went to see it twice I liked it so much, my Mom and I went yesterday while someone was looking at the house. Tea Leoni does a great job too. She really adds to making Gervais's character funny. Plot: Man is a bitter dentist who hates people. He likes his job because people are forced not to talk to him. He dies while getting a colonoscopy, comes back to life and can see dead people. The dead people want him to do stuff for them, but he hates them just as much as living people. One guy wants him to break off the engagement of his widow. He agrees to make all the dead go away.
Favorite line: "I don't mind crowds, it's the people in them I don't like."

What else.

Look at the children Jenessa! Going to school. Haha. we made lego children out of the round pieces because they looked like heads.


I played with Lego's. My cousins wanted to come over for a play date and I thought getting out my favorite toy as a child would entertain them. Wrong. In a world of video games, legos are almost uncool. I had a huge breakthrough when playing though. With legos everything is on a grid, placement of each lego on the grid is calculated and needs to be planned as to assure the structure will hold, and all the pieces fit. Since I was a child this sort of analysis has haunted me. I was obsessed with order. Maps were my favorite because they showed where things are in relation to another in the exact spot on earth. I read atlases all the time. I also had a weird love of home plan books and blueprints.

We were obsessive compulsive Lego players. We started by dividing all the pieces by color. Because multi-colored homes are unacceptable in the land of lego, each of us got a color to build with and we combined the colors that didn't have a lot of legos. In art everything for me is divided into pieces. That's why I love design. because I get to create pieces and then place them. I get to find the exact spot where something should be in relation to another. I thank Legos for my career choice.

1 comment:

Kati Howard said...

Kristen! I love your OCD. I'm a little OCD about certain things too, like vacuuming. I love to see the lines on the carpet after I've just finsihed; I refuse to let Tyler walk on it... at least for a little bit. :) I love order and seeing those nice straight lines on my carpet gives me a sense of satisfaction that I can't get while my son is throwing toys ALL over the house.

So it's all good to be a little OCD about some things, including legos. Sad how kids these days don't play with the good'ole toys we grew up with. I have refused to get video games for that precise reason.

Oh and tell Jenessa good luck. I can't believe she's about to turn in MISSION PAPERS!