Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Settlers from Catan


On my mission I was introduced to a little danish game called the Settlers from Catan. We played this almost every night during my last three transfers. It's a fun strategy game that can bring out the worst in people, and sometimes the best, but is now a classic in the Miles home. Sunday night is Settlers night. Dad won is very first game this past Sunday, but my victory crown was returned on Monday.

The game is pretty simple. The board changes every time you play. The hexagons in the center are called Resources. There are 5 resources, ore, brick, wheat, wood, and sheep. There is also one desert that no one gets any resources from, it is where the robber begins. Each has a number placed on top of it. When the dice is rolled if your number comes up, you are allowed to take the resource, if you have a settlement or a city built on it. Everyone starts with two Houses, and two roads.


As you play the game you trade in your resources to buy stuff and expand. The first person to 10 points wins.


The game gets dangerous when the robber starts moving. If you roll a 7 you get to take the little bugger and put it on a number... thus when the number is rolled they get no resource card. And you steal a card.

So, that is the Miles family favorite game. Competitive, Brutal, and Enjoyable. Just like a Miles.


1 comment:

Kati Howard said...

We have played this game with our friends who used to live by us, now they live in Portland (I'm so jealous). It totally does bring our the WORST or the BEST in people.

Anyways, Connor and his wife Lindsey came to have dinner at our house and then we played this game after.... Connor said he'd give me all his resources if I would make sure that Lindsey lost.

To which I replied, a marriage is forever, but friends come and go... I think I'll keep Lindsey as a friend Connor. Sadly, she won...........and we're still friends! :)