Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Snowball Effect

[ Snowball effect ] : is a figurative term for a process that starts from an initial state of small significance and builds upon itself, becoming larger (graver, more serious), and perhaps potentially dangerous or disastrous (a vicious circle, a "spiral of decline"), though it might be beneficial instead (a virtuous circle).

[ Snowball effect on Kristen] : is a "figurative" term for a process that starts from an initial state of smallness and builds upon herself becoming larger.

Let me begin with Walmart is evil. Why on earth would they tempt me with the dessert of the Gods all wrapped up in a package of 12 for $3? Serious. The temptation was too much. Now I have eaten 6 in two days. My innards are screaming for more. They can't help it. The thought of delicious cream filled chocolate cake, enveloped in a marshmallow shell and topped with pink coconut. Heavenly.

I am grateful my wonderful, fabulous and awesome roommate Natalie bought some too. I'm at least not alone in this conquest of deliciousness.

Half my family is utterly disgusted by coconut. It makes me sad. I see no reason why they can't enjoy it. As a child I had to listen to complaint after complaint of "why someone would put coconut in dessert?" I was the child in the baking cabinet eating the shredded coconut by the handful. I loved it.

My love of pink snowballs began at an early age. My Mom used to take us to the Hostess/Wonderbread discount store. A reward for us acting properly was that she would allow us to choose one hostess snack to take home. I loved the Hostess Store. It has so many good memories. I can picture it now. The wall of bread, the cart section as you enter the store.... and the metal crates, filled with pies, ho hos, cupcakes, and my beloved Snowballs. I always got the snowballs, without fail. I couldn't wait till my Mom "finally" approached the cash register. The woman would slide my snowballs across the scanner and I would be in heaven.

My first recollection of pink snowballs occurred when I was about 4 or 5. My Mom, who is very creative, had made this birthday cake. It was a pink bunny with green grass around it... and a pink snowball tail. That was my first taste, and that is what has driven my love of snowballs my whole life. Whenever I look at snowballs I remember that cake. How delicious it was and how that tail was a changing point in my life.

I think I'm addicted.

5 comments:

nataliehupe said...

"Remember to eat lots of butter pads and share them with your friends," Big Bunny said.

I love your story, I can relate in so many ways. The snowballs are the treat from Heaven.

Fact.

Melissa Hinkson said...

Overheard: (after a long rant about making a bunny cake in honor of childhood memories)
"Are you making it a CARROT cake?" -Megan, almost congratulating herself on a joke well punned as she spoke.
"I would never do something so ridiculous!" –Kristen

Unknown said...

Well... I wouldn't.

Cherie said...

Coconut IS gross (I guess I didn't teach you anything). Mom is too cute. I remember that hostess store too!

Megan said...

I still wish it was going to be a carrot cake. It wasn't just a pun.