Friday, March 6, 2009

Silly Me


Background to my odd situation: Yesterday Grandpa Olsen came to visit with Marva. They had been in Island Park visiting with my Uncle Alan. I saw my Aunt at the career fair and knew that Grandpa and Marva were probably in town also so I expected a call from them that day. Low and behold while I was at work in the computer lab my cell phone started buzzing. The Lab was unusually busy that day so I had to wait to call them back.

We arranged to go out to dinner before my night class. Craigos and Pizza were on my mind... so we went there. Well as we were walking into Craigos I looked at the sign. Memphis. I didn't see the words, I saw the typeface. The angled t, the slab serif, the geometric modernist design. The A with a serif on the point.

A weird thing has occured in my life recently. I have become obsessed with type. Fonts, fonts fonts. 26 letters, glyphs, punctuation. It fasinates me.

Well we sat down and enjoyed a nice meal... me thinking about how much I was in love with Memphis.

Grandpa and Marva invited me to go hot tubbing that night and I met them after my class and their concert. Well I showed up after the concert and then they invited me to stay the night at the hotel with them. It was fun. I miss having a huge bed to stretch out in. Plus I couldn't pass up spending more time with them or a free breakfast in the morning.

Well I enjoyed my bagel, muffin, cereal, orange juice, and danish... then they drove me to work. The funny thing about my job is that I don't do much. I sit around most the time running updates on the computer and telling people they can't do something because they are in the wrong program or they haven't even selected the right layer. But at 7 in the morning there is no one. So I sit alone. I have a lot of time to browse the internet. Well as I sat there thinking of things to look up I remembered... Memphis.

I started looking up the price to purchase Memphis. $135.99. That is what stands in my way of true font love. I then sat reasoning that if I was willing to spend that much for one type face... why not $99 more for Helvetica.
Why all of a sudden have I become totally irrational? 26 letters for $135.99. That is $5 something per letter. I need help. I do not need Memphis... even if he is beautiful.

3 comments:

Melissa Hinkson said...

Kristen, I think you need some help. I have the number to a real professional. He's phenomenal. He can help you with this typession (type obsession).
As your roommate, and friend, I highly recommend seek some counseling about this. Think of the children Kristen. They're the future.

Megan said...

I like how Memphis is suddenly personified at the conclusion of this post. He is beautiful.

Cherie said...

Um, have you heard of 1001freefonts? You don't have to pay for them.