Monday, May 16, 2011

26

Today I turned 26. Amazing feat, I know. It took little effort and a small amount of street smarts. Bryce told me how my Mom talked with him about how as a child I would plan my birthday for months.

When you are the fourth of five children and your parents weren't wealthy it was a big deal when you got something and no one else did. I have some good memories of planning my birthdays as a child. They usually involved elaborate plans and impractical presents. Which I almost never got, and didn't really care about anyways as long as I got a Barbie or some clothes I was happy.

One birthday that sticks out was my eighth birthday. It was barbie themed and I had all the little girls from church and school over. My Mom did a fantastic job of decorating and planning games. One was musical chairs. It is one of my very few vivid memories of a child, racing around the living room fighting for the last seat. I inherited the table and chairs that we played that game on...maybe someday I'll do the same with my kids.

Another birthday I remember was when I was in College. Bryce and I had been dating about two months and he and my roommates planned an awesome party. There was even a pinata. We made a fire pit and roasted kebabs.

Today was a quiet birthday, and it was just as nice as any I had before. I went to work, came home to a homemade dinner by Bryce and opened a few cards and presents. Just Bryce and I. I think it will be a memorable one. Because of all the dreams and plans I had as a child none involved being with the person I love more than anything in this world. And I am so lucky that he is the perfect gift from heaven for me.

4 comments:

Bryce said...

Awww shucks, I sure love you Kristen!

Johannes and Christine said...

Love the birthday memories! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Anonymous said...

SWEEEEET!!!
Kristen, you are the BEST! Thank you for being YOU. What a blessing you are in Bryce's life and in ours.
We love you,
Ma & Pa

Cherie said...

That was cute. Good thing you have some street smarts...