Wednesday, October 22, 2008

South Fork Skokomish Trail

So we began our journey after searching for unmarked roads on roads that randomly switched from paved to unpaved and were a little challanging for my friend Crystal's, she is in the blue, little four door Kia. There was only one other car parked there, and we saw a whole bunch of hunters driving past us. Along the trail we saw only two other men the whole time. It was a little late in the season to be hiking but we had some fantastic weather. It was literally the perfect day to go for a hike. The leaves were falling and shifting color. It made for a fun crunchy sound as we walked. Along for the adventure was my friend Lisa. She is getting ready to serve a mission in Spain.
These were some awesome fungus we found. They were in the shape of lilies. There was some other cool things we found along the way too, like a hidden waterfall, a velvet purple mushroom, and some bright orange coral fungus.
Neat little bridge. Bridge to no where?
Me hanging out by the river. Bad hair day? Yes... I think I am having a bad hair decade. We went off the trail and walked about 200 ft down to the river to enjoy the scenery.
My trusty boots. In these boots I feel confident walking through anything. I don't even think twice! I would say my boots are one of my most favorite pairs of shoes.

It was decided that we should cross the river. Why? Who knows. It was only hypothermic temperatures and a little chilly out. So why the heck not? What you don't see is how sharp the bottom of this stream bed is. It felt like knifes cutting into the bottom of my feet. The water was really shallow thankfully and I stayed the most dry of the three of us.

So that was my Adventure. I had a really great time and would recommend this trail to anyone in the Olympia area. It is about 30 minutes from Olympia. It was relativily easy and was flat most of the way It would be easy with children. The worst was at the beginning. We only went about three miles in but the trail spans about 10 miles, 20 back and forth and it had a lot of areas to overnight if you wanted to go backpacking.

For more pictures you can check out my facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=71320&l=40588&id=1063307519


No comments: